List of Lord Ganesh (dwadasha / 12) names with meaning
Namaste friends, how are you doing today? Lord Shiva and Lord Ganesha blessings to you and your family!
Just before knowing “List of Lord Ganesh (dwadasha / 12) names with meaning”, let us all have a small brief about Lord Ganesha. Lord Ganesha is the son of Lord Shiva and Parvati Devi. He is having younger brother named Kartikeya.
Lord Ganesha is the head of all the Ganas of the Kailash and that’s why Lord Ganesha got the his name. Ganesha = Gana + Isha = All the Ganas of Kailash + Head (King).
Similarly, Lord Ganesha’s brother Kartikeya is head for all the Snakes. Kartikeya is also known with different names like Shanmukha (6 Faces), Subramanya, Murugan, Skanda, etc.
Lord Ganesha’s is having 2 consorts (Divine wives) and their names are Siddhi and Buddhi (Some call her Riddhi, but it’s incorrect way of pronouncing).
Now, let us all go to know about “List of Lord Ganesh dwadasha (12) names with meaning”:
First twelve (12) important names of Sri Ganesha are as below:
List of Lord Ganesh (dwadasha / 12) names are as given below:
The meaning of the above dwadasha names (12) are as given below:
1. Sumukha : Sri Ganesha is called as Sri Sumukha, as he is so beautiful even Sri Chandradeva is nothing in front of him. Sumukha = Su = Beautiful, very beautiful / mukha = face, body.
2. Ekadanta : Since Sri Ganesha has only one tooth, he is known as Sri Ekadanta. To write Sri Mahabharata, Bhagavan Sri Vedavyasa Ji appoints our Sri Ganesha.
Just before starting to write, Sri Ganesha would not be having the pen. For this reason, Sri Ganesha plucks out his one tooth and uses it as the pen.
Thus Sri Ganesha is also known as Sri Ekadanta. Ekadanta = Eka / Ek = One, danta = danta / tooth.
3. Kapila : Sri Ganesha is known as Sri Kapila. Sri Ganesha’s body colour is red. In Samskruta / Sanskrit, Kapila means red. Thus our Sri Ganesha got the name as Sri Kapila.
Also, since Sri Ganesha’s body colour is red, he is called as Sri Raktavarna. In Samskruta, rakta means blood, which is red in colour and thus is the name.
4. Gajakarnaka : Sri Ganesha’s another name is Sri Gajakarnaka. Since our loving Sri Ganesha is having ears like that of the elephant, He is known as Sri Gajakarnaka.
Gajakarnaka = Gaja = Gaja / Gaj / Elephant, Karnaka = Karna = ear, ka = having.
5. Lambhodara : Ours Sri Parvati Shiva’s son Sri Ganesha likes modaka / modak, chakkali, nippattu etc very much. Thus his tummy is little bigger.
For this reason, He is known as Sri Lambhodhara. Lambhodhara = Lambo + udhara. Lambo = Big, udhara = udhara / udhar / tummy.
6. Vikata : Sri Ganesha likes to be happy always. The Ganagan who stay with Him are always kept happy by Sri Ganesha. Thus Sri Ganesha is known as Sri Vikata.
7. VighNanashaka : Sri Gowri son’s another name is called as Sri VighNanaashaka. With the blessings of Sri LakshmiNarayana, all the obstacles are destroyed by our Sri Ganesha.
Thus the name. VighNanashaka = VighNa + nashaka = VighNa = Obstacles, nashaka = destroyer.
8. VinAyaka : Sri Skanda brother’s name is Sri Vinayaka. Our Sri Ganesha is very polite and whoever believes / follows Him, even that person will by made polite by our Sri Ganesha.
Thus the name Sri Vinayaka for our Sri Ganesha. Vinayaka = Vinaya + nayaka, vinaya = politeness, nayaka = king / giver of politeness.
9. DhumravarNa : Sri Ganesha likes the smoke that effulgence (spreads) during the pooja and also his body colour is illuminated with smoke.
Thus the name. DhumravarNa = Dhuma + varNa, Dhum = Dhum / Dhupa / Dhup, varNa = body colour.
(Sri Ganesha also has the name Sri Kapila. Devategan / Demigods are not similar to humans as they can do anything with the blessings of Sri Hari).
10. GajAdhyeksha : Sri Ganesha is known as Sri GjAdhyeksha. Our Sri Ganesha is king, leader of all the gaja / gaj / gaNa / gaN. Thus the name.
GajAdhyeksha = Gaja + adhyeksha, gaja = gaja / gaj / gaNa / gaN, adhyeksha = adhyeksha / adhyeksh / king / leader.
11. BAlachandra : Our loving, Sri Ganesha is known as Sri BAlachandra. Sri Ganesha is very loving son of his father Sri Shiva and mother Sri Parvatidevi and similar to His father Sri Ganesha also wears the Lord Sri Chandra on his forehead.
Thus the name Sri BAlachandra. BAlachandra = BAla + chandra, BAla = son, Sri Shiva and Sri Parvati’s son, chandra = He is similar to Lord Chandradeva and also He wears the Lord Chandra on his forehead.
12. GajAnana : Sri Ganesha’s another prominent name is Sri GajAnana. Sri Ganapati is having this name since his face is similar to gaja / gaj / elephant.
GajAnana = Gaja + anana, gaja / gaj = elephant, anana = countenance / having face.
To read Kannada translation of the above names, you can click the below link:
To know What are Lord Ganesh (dwadasha / 12) names with meaning, watch the below YouTube video:
Dear friends, if you need any clarifications about this post, kindly let me know, I will definitely try to answer all of them.
Also your one LIKE, one COMMENT, One Share, one SUBSCRIPTION is highly important.
This will help to know the quality of this content and also it will be helpful to know if any improvements is required for the content.
If you feel this content is useful to you and has helped you to improve your knowledge, kindly share this with your well-wishers.
Because “SHARING MEANS CARING”.
To receive FREE EMAIL SUBSCRIPTION about #BhagavanBhakthi, you can send an email to email@example.com from your email ID.
Sri Gurubhyo namaha
Sri Raghavendra Swamy Gurubhyo namaha
Sri Ganeshaya namaha
Sri Krishnaya namaha